Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sheep's Clothing

I didn't get to bed early. I tried, I really did, but I picked up Josi Kilpack's book, "Sheep's Clothing". I thought I would read a bit to relax before drifing off to sleep. Well, I turned the last page of the book about midnightish.


You can read the teaser from the back of the book over at Josi's site.
And Karlene reviewed this book here.

I agree with Karlene's review. I also agree with the balance between reality and the happy ending, but I was really afraid that Josi would go the "we all fasted and it was revealed to us what the problem was, and so we all hugged and made up and lived happily ever after, after all the nonmemebers joined the church". I am so glad that she didn't go that route.

I also liked the arguments between the parents- well the way Josi handled them. It seems that too often in LDS lit. that one of the parents is perfect and the other one is always at fault and the perfect one looks down on everyone and can't understand why the family doesn't get it. These parents are real, they work and don't give enough time to the people that need it. They make mistakes, they lose patience with their kids and each other, they argue, they don't know what to do so they don't do it.

When I finished the book, I felt decidely unsettled and wanted to do something about this problem. I realized how I had gotten lax with my computer rules the last little bit, especially with the child that I never have to worry about.

Quoting Karlene
"If your children have access to the Internet, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK. If those children are over the age of 12, THEY NEED TO READ THIS BOOK."

No comments: