Monday, September 24, 2007

Summer Reading Thing recap

How many total books did you read? Were you surprised by that number?
I read 15 books and started a couple that I didn't finish for one reason or another.
I wasn't surprised by th number of books I read, but I used to read like that all the time, before I had to get a job. It felt so good to read with abandon again.

How do you feel about what you read?
I am happy with my choices for the most part. There were a couple of books that I wish I hadn't chosen or wasted my time starting them. I didn't finish those books- too many obscenities or too graphic and too much gratuitous stuff.


Which was your favorite book, and why? My favorite:
Of course I have to say Harry Potter but that aside I would have to say "Counting Stars" by Michele Paige Holmes. Michele wove such an awsome story. Her characters really came alive for me and her dialoge was real as well, not stilted or fake. And then even though her story is a romance, it wasn't formulaic.

1.Which was your least favorite, and why?
I would have to choose "The Alchemist's Daughter" by Katharine McMahon. This was my least favorite because the heroine was so weak and clueless about her own life. I really hated how her husband did all of the thinking for her, and she was ok with it.

What about your stretch book? Did you find that you enjoyed it after all? Are you planning to read more of that genre/author?
My stretch book was "Emma" by Jane Austen. This was my stretch book because in talking to my sister, I realized that I had not read much of Jane Austen's work. I have no idea why, I just never have. I didn't finish it, however, because it was due back at the library and it was time for school to start and I just no longer had long stretches of time to just sit and read. And really, I need long stretches of time to read this so that I have the time to get into the voice the book is written in. I have a three day school vacation coming up, maybe I'll try again then.

Did you read as many books as you intended to? Or more? How do you feel about that? I read most of the books I had intended to read, I read some that were not on my original list and got rid of some that were there, as well. I think I would have a problem being a librarian or working in a book store, because I would want to be reading instead of helping customers. I really think that for 2008 my goal is going to be to read more of the classics that I haven't read.

Did you discover a new author that you're excited about? Michelle Paige Holmes, definately.

What did you learn about yourself through this reading experience?
I have always known that I have a very eclectic taste in reading. I like romance, mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, just about everything. But, I did discover that in the last few years, I have kind of narrowed my reading to frivolity and not read much of substance. Perhaps that comes from so many years of reading text books- psych books are heavy reading. So I am going to try to read at least one book a month that has some substance to it.


Was this fun? Do you want to continue (if so, sign up for Katrina's Fall Into Reading challenge.) So fun.

No comments: