Friday, November 30, 2007

Just in case

Today at school we had a security lock down. We have a sattilite program that operates out of our school. A couple of those students had plans to show up and then run away. After they ran, the police were concerned that they not come back into the school, perhaps even with weapons. Because of that we locked all the outside access doors and didn't allow student to go outside during class change. The students were found and all is well. End of story.

Well, you would think it was the end of the story. I guess a couple of the kids heard when we were talking on the radio about locking the doors and the plans of what to do. A couple were in the office when the secretary had to call the police to come. That is where it got all blown out of proportion. Students started telling each other what they thought was happening and calling parents or texting parents. The media got ahold of the story and reported that we were in lockdown because we had students running through the halls with guns shooting people. I even heard students saying that there was someone lying in the parking lot bleeding where they were shot. Parents started calling, in mass, then wanting to know if their particular child was safe. I understand that, as a parent I would want to know if my children were safe. But I tell you, I did go in my room and laugh. There never was a threat at all. None. Nada. Zip. Zero. This was the way we choose to make sure of that. And of course, imagination made it worse than reality.

But I do have to tell you this, as one of the staff that would be called upon to take care of and deal with a trheat, I am extremely grateful that all was just rumor and not reality.

1 comment:

Karlene said...

I was out Christmas shopping and listening to local radio. Didn't hear a thing about it. But I did hear about the hostage situation going on at Hillary Clinton's campaign office in NJ.