Thursday, November 22, 2007

Musings on Thankfullness

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Today is the day that we gather around the feast and ponder out blessings. And ponder the sales we want to hit early in the morning, the scores of our favorite football team, where to put the leftovers, and lament that Christmas is coming too early, before Halloween in someplaces.

As a business owner* I understand the competition for the consumer's dollar, the dollars that stretch less and less each and every day. When I did party decorations and balloons, I started getting catalogs in July full of that year's Christmas merchandise. I would have to order that early in order to be guarenteed to be able to have the items in stock, then you have to put it in front of the consumer in time to have them spend their money at your place instead of your neighbor's. Hence the earlier and earlier appearence of material goods.

But as a consumer, it bothers me. One day of the year has been set aside for us to be thankful. No expectations for this holiday. No presents, no big decorations, no ridiculous, getting in debt spending. Just family, food, love and laughter. And gratitude. But even that is being pushed aside for the spending and deals and competition that is supposed to rememberance of our Savior's birth.

Perhaps even more than this is the feeling that gratitude is missing entirely. I have a house full of stuff and things but often forget to be grateful for it. Not often do I say I am thankful for......... Idealy I would do this at least each Sunday as I attend my meeting and spend the day in gratitude. In reality, it has more often than not become a day to endure and get through. Each and every day, more often than not, becomes a day to get through- get up, get ready, go to work, come home, do a load of laundry, help with homework, fix supper, clean up, go to bed and start over the next day.

So, I am going to try and spend the next year in gratitude for what I have, and sharing it the best I can with those that need it.

Today I am grateful that I had a full house for dinner (but I have too many left overs because Trevor wasn't here and I cooked as if he was). The highchair had a baby in it again and there was love and laughter. Tomorrow I get to spend it with my family of origin. Again, love and laughter. Who could want more?







*that link means I want you to click on it, go to my website, look around and do some of your Christmas shopping so you don't have to fight the crowds at the store and my business grows. But only if you want, this is really an illustration of my point.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sandra, I completely agree with you. Julia over at Where oh Where Has My Mind Gone . . Today? had a great post on Thanksgiving:

http://wherehasmymindgone.blogspot.com
/2007/11/thanksgiving-day-proclamation-
of-1789.html

You'll have to cut and paste, take out the returns to use the link, but it's great.