Friday, November 9, 2007

Respect and Responsibility and a Thank You

This year at school we have been emphasising Respect and Responsibility to and for each other. Today we had an assembly for the 8th grade students. The American Legion came to speak about our Veterans and about Monday, Veterans day. It was a great assembly. The students were kind and respectful. They stood for our country's flag, they said the pledge, the stood and honored the flags of each branch of the military (yes, that Oorah! that you heard came from me for the Marine flag). I think they were moved as much as I and the veterans that were sitting next to me were. And yes, I had to wipe a few tears away.

The boys, of course, were most impressed with the ROTC drill team and the way they threw their rifles in drill. It was a cool presentation. One of the drill members had asked me before hand to please video tape them with his camera. I hope it worked for him. I love the way he approached and addressed me, "Excuse me, mam". So dignified and you know I love the military bearing. And you also know that I can never refuse someone in the service.

Thank you, Mrs. Zufelt, for giving our students the opportunity to hear from these men and remember them and their sacrifices. One of our sweet students came to me later in the day with a poem she had written about veterans. It was so sweet and it made tears come to my eyes.

No comments: