Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What is happiness?

Happiness. I have often wondered exactly what this is. Is it something tangible? Do you know it when you have it? Is it elusive? Exclusive to just a few? I do not know. I do know that I do not think I am a happy person. I think I just get by day to day. So if I were a happy person, would I know it?

We have several students at the school this year that have health concerns. Some of them are just need to be watched and some of them are very serious and a couple of them are terminal. In fact, there is one that the doctors say it is totally possible that this student will die before next school year starts. This is the student I want to talk about today.

She is the cutest student you will ever meet. She has a gpa of 3.7 and is ranked
10th in her class. I have never ever seen this girl without a smile on her face. But it goes farther than that, the smile reaches her eyes. In fact, if you were to look into her eyes, they sparkle with her happiness. They shine a beacon to the world and bring rays of happiness to the whole school. Even on those days that I know she is having pain, there is still a sparkle in her eyes and smile on her face. How does that happen for someone?

This student has the right to leave school and go on home hospital- which means she is basically home schooled, or she could just drop out. What would it matter? But I love that she WANTS to be at school. Really, what would she do at home? Watch t.v., feel sorry for herself? Not this student. I have already told you what amazing grades she has. She is also on student council. She sings in the choir and is learning a foriegn language. She always has a crowd of friends around her, laughing, talking and being happy. I really, really admire this girl and want to be like her.

So tell me, what is happiness and how does one obtain it? Especially when circumstances say that you should not be. How is this done?

No comments: