Monday, May 5, 2008

Just follow the script

I was listening to some old music this weekend. There is a line in one of the songs that goes: "If this were a movie, we'd be right on cue. But here in the real world...."

Then later that day, Ethan was watching an episode of Stargate and I needed him to do something. He asked if he could wait until the episode was over. Of course I wanted to know how much longer and he didn't know as it was a DVD instead of on t.v. So I asked him, where are they in the conflict? Has it gotten extremely bad yet? Does it seem that there is no way to resolve it and time is counting down to mere minutes or seconds before doom is sure to happen? Or are we still building to that point? Or are you about to see the last second rescue? His answer told me where in the sequence of events he was as well as about how much longer the show had.

I started thinking about that. If my life were a movie, would I be on cue? Where am I in the sequence of events? Am I hitting my mark more often than hitting miscues? What happens when someone doesn't follow the script? Can I improvise and make it a good show anyway?

It is sometimes hard to step back and look at the scenes objectively. And realisticly, there are no scripts, no looking ahead to see how it all turns out.

There is a major conflict in my life. For me it seems hopeless and I felt helpless to change it. I really needed someone to step in and rescue me. But, just like the song, here in the real world, that doesn't happen. However, after meeting with my bishop about it a couple of weeks ago, I no longer feel that edge of the seat drama, my life can't get any worse, I just want the credits to roll about the whole thing. The conflict has not gone away, it has not been resolved and I still don't know what is going to happen, or when, or anything other than this: it will be alright- eventually. There will be a resolution. And I will get to live happily ever after. Right on cue.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At last, a song I recognise
Dad

tawnya said...

Dad, that cracked me up!

tawnya said...

(by the way? I so didn't...I would guess....Alan Jackson? I guess the early morning seminary brainwashing did some good!)

ShazBraz said...

I didn't either!

Sandra said...

You are right, Tawnya- Alan Jackson, Here in the Real World.
And I thought seminary was for spiritual enlightenment, not music brainwashing- go figure.

And Dad, I mostly feel like you do with this small exception, I recognize the bands and have to listen to the song and some I recognize then as ones that Jess and Donovan listen to.

tawnya said...

Oh, it was the "on the way to seminary brainwashing with the country music" dad tried (in vain, apparently) to do. It just didn't stick with me!