Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sacchrine and guilt for breakfast

I truly do not like mother's day. I do, however, like the idea of mother's day- a day to pay tribute to your mom and the wonders that she brought to pass in your life. Too often in our world this turns into a day that women are told that as a mother she needs to be perfect and very few of us feel that we are even close to adequate. Why can we not understand that we don't have to be perfect, but that we just have to do the best we possibly can for the families that we have? So I take my paper flowers, macaroni necklaces and grade school glued cards, give my children a kiss, put the goodies in my goodie drawer to pull out and look at as the years pass and they grow into loving responsible children with families of their own. I am only now comng to realize that all the sacchrine and guilt I ingested through the years would have been best served with a little laughter and knowledge of my love for my children and their love for me.