Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fish are Friends, Not Food


I am going to admit something here, there is something that I cannot do. Cook fish. Really. I want to, but I just can't do it. I try and try and it never works out. Maybe there is a twelve-step process that I am missing out on regarding fish. I just don't know, but what I do know is I can not cook fish. (opening a can of tuna doesn't count)

I read about all of the health benefits of fish and I want to experience them. I imagine this beautiful filet of something laying on my plate surrounded by other healthy goodness in the form of red and green and yellow fruits and vegitables. I eat it and experience culinary heaven and reap the benefits of all the anti-oxidents and omegas. Then I wake up and taste what is on my plate.

I just ate a filet of Red Snapper. Those omegas better be doing something because the meal was certainly lacking in taste. I bought a couple of frozen filets to try out. I thought if I tried one more time. I didn't buy the pre-breaded/seasoned/packaged whatever. It seems to me that if something is breaded and deep fat fried that no matter how healthy it started out, all of that dressing negates the good parts. So, I got the frozen raw filets. I seasoned it with some garlic (because it's not food unless it has garlic, that's why) and a bit of cornmeal sprinkled to give it just a slight crust. Then I pan fried it- just enough cooking spray to keep it from sticking. Then I sat down to it and a salad. It tasted like-- fish. You know, that no taste fish taste?

Now I know that I do like some fish. I remember eating catfish at Grandma's and liking it. I have gone to restaurants and had fish and like it. (I don't understand lobster, though- tasteless rubber). But everytime I cook fish the response is, "Can I please be excused?" or "Can I have a bowl of Cheerios?"

So unless someone can come to my rescue, fish at my house will be enjoyed in a tank or the pond and not on a plate in the kitchen.
picture courtesy of singapore koi club

5 comments:

ShazBraz said...

Good for you for trying! I hate fish in all its forms enough that I just keep waiting for them to figure out that they were wrong about the whole omega-whatever thing.

tawnya said...

I love fish. I can't cook it, either. Though shrimp. Shrimp I do well.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you can't cook fish, there's always UGH Sushi Dad

Sandra said...

Sushi, yeah, umm not gonna happen. Donovan likes it and keeps trying to get me to eat it, but why would I want to eat raw fish that tastes nasty? Not gonna happen.

Anonymous said...

I've heard it works well as bait when you are fishing, though dad