Monday, August 25, 2008

To those left behind

Matthew 6:7 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

I have been thinking about this scripture today and how often the phrases in my prayers are vain repetitions and trite phrases said because that is what we say in our prayers. "Thank thee for the food" "Bless the missionaries" "Bless the sick and afflicted" "Comfort those that need comforted" blah, blah, blah and on to my myriad lists of what I think my life should be.

Or I turn on the t.v. and see some big news story about some tragedy somewhere and I say, "Oh how bad for them. We should remember to pray for them." So we do, "Bless those affected by ___" the end, up off my knees and onto what I think is more important. I mentioned it in a prayer so I don't have to think about it anymore.

Unless the tragedy, the need, the want, the whatever is personal, the words I use are trite and mean nothing. My thoughts have moved on and my feelings are not even engaged in participation too often I am sorry to say.

I have been thinking today about why I do that. What I came up with is because I don't think about it in terms of real and actual people. When my nephews were in Argentina on their missions the past 2 years, praying for the missionaries was not ambiguous, but personal. I prayed specifically for Elder Hulsey and Elder Jenkins. I prayed for the people in the area they were serving in, for the members and the non-members, for softened hearts, for guidance, for tolerance, for love. Not some global unseen, unknown missionary. When I think about it in real actual children of God, living and breathing and picture them in my mind and take the time- no, make the time to make it personal, the prayer is different.

Yesterday on the news there was a report of another plane crash. This time in Guatemala. Most of the people on the plane did not survive. Some of them were Americans. All of them were on a humanitarian assistance trip. I heard about it and was saddened for the families and friends left behind. Then I moved on as I so often do.

This morning I logged on to read a friend's blog. It was a farewell tribute to two wonderful friends of his. Two friends that were on that plane. Two friends that left a legacy of service behind and emptiness in the hearts of those they served as well as those that served along with them. After reading about them, I wish I had known them. And I was chastened that I forgot that to someone, somewhere, the people on that plane were important and moving on will not be easy or swift.

I also was reminded of a covenant made when I was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I covenanted to mourn with those that mourn. So today, I mourn the loss of these wonderful servants of God. I mourn for the heavy hearts of those left behind to pick up and continue on. And I will try harder to be more Christlike in my service, more observant in my daily life of those that need, and less trite and repititous in my prayers.



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

3 comments:

David G. Woolley said...

Thanks Sandra!

Sandra said...

You are welcome, David.

lindsey said...

I really like the idea of having your sidebar named "Because I have Been Given Much". You are so thoughtful in your postings!