Thursday, October 2, 2008

Conversations

I have a lot of conversations throughout the day. In the mornings my conversations run along the lines of:

"Time to get up." "Do your chore" "Brush your teeth" "Are you ready?" And the responses to all of that is usually a grunt or a moan or a roll of the eyes.

When I get back home in the evenings the conversations don't change much, exchage time to get up with time to go to bed and there you go.

But it is the conversations at work that make up the majority of my talking/listening time. There are the casualy conversations about life that I have with co-workers. There are the conversations about students that are having/causing problems. And then there are the conversations with students themselves.

Most of the student conversations I don't mind having. If the conversation takes place in the hall during class it usually sounds like this on my part,"What class are you supposed to be in? Then get there." If it is in my office, then I am either writing an admit slip, check out slip, taking a student to the principal's office, or administering first aid. Or they might be about grades and/or attendance issues and what the student needs to do to get a passing grade and actually graduate.

Those are all conversations I don't mind having. The conversations I do not like to have? The ones where I have to tell the girls to put some clothes on already! Some of these girls look as if they think they are headed to a Hee Haw Honey try out and not math class. And they don't get why it is a big deal and then we have to have that conversation. I just don't understand it. Where are their mothers?

And then their mothers walk into the office to pick them up...



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

3 comments:

Jeri said...

AMEN! In about 8 years yo ucan have conversations with my daughter regarding her appearance, but it will be more along the lines of, "it's great that you always dress so modestly and keep your body covered, but sweats and an uncombed mop of ponytail EVERYDAY might be a little on the frumpish side..."
then when I walk in, it will all be perfectly clear.

lindsey said...

Ha ha ha! Both your post and Jeri's comment made me laugh so hard. It is so true. Most of the time meeting parent's is delightful, and then sometimes, their kid just makes sense. Great post!

loretta said...

HA, ha, ha. Oh, I do like working at the elementary. At least we don't have that issue!