Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Life as I know it

Has come to an end. This is my reading assignment to be done before class starts. Next week. Before I ever step foot inside a classroom or meet my professor.


Boes, S. R. (2001, February). Portfolio development for 21st century school counselors. Professional School Counseling, 4(3), 229.

Dagley, J. C. (1999, Winter). The restoration of group process in career counseling groups. International Journal of Action Methods, 51(4), 141.

Fabian, N. (2001, March). The importance of writing well. Journal of Environmental Health, 63(7), 74.

Farah, A., & Atoum, A. (2002). Personality traits as self-evaluated and as judged by others. Social Behavior and Personality, 30(2), 149.

Fowers, B. J. (2001, July). The limits of a technical concept of a good marriage: Exploring the role of virtue in communication skills. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 27(3), 327-340.

Furr, S. R., & Barret, B. (2000, December). Teaching group counseling skills: Problems and solutions. Counselor Education and Supervision, 40(2), 94.

Reinsch Jr., N. L., & Shelby, A. N. (1997, December). What communication abilities do practitioners need? Evidence from MBA students. Business Communication Quarterly, 60(4), 7-29.

Rhyne-Winkler, M. C., & Wooten, H. R. (1996, November). The school counselor portfolio: Professional development and accountability. School Counselor, 44(2), 146.

Thompson, R. L., Brossart, D. F., Carlozzi, A. F., & Miville, M. L. (2002, September). Five-factor model (big five) personality traits and universal-diverse orientation in counselor trainees. The Journal of Psychology, 136(5), 561-572.

Ulinski, M., & O'Callaghan, S. (2002, March/April). A comparison of MBA students' and employers' perceptions of the value of oral communication skills for employment. Journal of Education for Business, 77(4), 193-197.

Zenger, J. H., & Folkman, J. (2003, February). The leadership tent. Executive Excellence, 20(2), 5.

And when I am done with that

Paper on professional positions for counselors
Prepare a two-to-three-page (350 words per page) paper discussing what
professional positions Master of Counseling graduates hold, and in what settings.

Write your paper according to APA format and include a minimum of two
references with both quotations and citations within the text of the paper.
Suggested sources for references are the Dictionary of Occupational Titles
(DOT) and the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), found at university,
community college, and public libraries and career centers; articles found on the
Internet; professional books and articles on careers in counseling found in the
public library and in university and community college libraries and career
centers.

And that is just the first assignment for next week. There are 3 more.

And I still need to edit and correct Jess' papers for her, help the other 3 with homework, chores, piano, referee, cook the food, go to work, run the errands, pay the bills, clean the house, do the laundry. Oh and sometime in there I think I should try and sleep. And I am willingly paying for this insanity. For 2 1/2 years.

It's been nice knowing you.



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

6 comments:

Karlene said...

I thought they said homework was easy and mostly done in class???

It's okay though. You're good at this. Just take a deep breath and jump in. You'll be fine. :)

ShazBraz said...

Yikes! I didn't know you had decided--good for you! And good luck!

Sandra said...

Karlene-I can do it, I know I can- I did it before. Most of the work is done in class, this is to just get started. Thanks for your vote of confidence. I will just need to rearrange my schedule at home to get everything in.

Sharon- yeah, other things appear to finally be coming to a head so I need something. And when the principal asked if anyone needed an internship when a counselor leaves this spring it seemed like a perfect opportunity to move to a higher paying position.

loretta said...

Good thing you like to read? Good luck. There is a reason I'm waiting 2 more years to start, I'm finishing AmeriCorps first.

tawnya said...

Wow! Maybe I won't go back for my Masters!

Good Luck!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow. I'll stop wondering why I haven't seen you around lately. Err...have fun? Good luck?

Condolences?