Saturday, November 1, 2008

On showers

I just got back from attending the bridal shower of my nephew's fiance' (fiancee?) Anyway, Brandi, Jess and I took the trip up to Logan for the shower. We left here 45 minutes late. I hate being late. At one point during the drive, Jess told me that I missed the exit, but I knew I hadn't because we hadn't passed the rest stop. Believe me, I would have known if we had passed the rest stop.

But we made it there and thanks to my handy dandy GPS (which still needs a name) we drove right to the church house and I didn't get lost even once. We walked in as Leeza was in the middle of opening presents and guests were filling their plates with goodies. Lexie took the Urban Botanic oil warmer and oils I (Jess as we were driving) wrapped beautifully in a gift bag with tissue paper on the top. The girls and I got a plate of food and sat down next to Loretta and we worked on a Romantic sayings from popular movies quiz.

Which brings me to my question for today. Why are shower games so lame? That is the one and only reason that I was ok with being late, I wouldn't have to play any lame/silly games about guessing underwear colors or first kiss happenings. These are not things a bride wants to discuss in front of her future mother-in-law and the oldest lady in the ward. So there is always a lot of hemming and hawing and red faces and we all want to crawl under our chairs. I have no idea if they played any of the lame games, because I was, well, late. The matching game was ok, nothing to embarrass anyone with, and nothing that made me feel that I had to take Brandi out of the room.

Today was fun for me because I got to see my sister and her daughters and spend a bit of time with her future daughter-in-law. The groom came by at the end and I was able to spend some time with him and his brother talking, something we haven't done in a while. He even gave me a can of cleaner from out of his truck to try and take the tar off of my Durango. Sweet boy.

So my question for you is this, What sorts of things do you like to do at bridal showers. What makes them fun for you?



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

4 comments:

Karlene said...

One of the funnest I've ever seen was sort of like the Newlywed game. They asked the groom-to-be a bunch of questions about himself and his bride and video taped him answering. We all, including the bride, had to guess his answers. then we played the tape. That was fun because we got to know him better.

tawnya said...

I haaaaaattttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeee showers.

loretta said...

Ya, we don't like shower games either. Leza's mom wanted some games so that is the only one we did. The ladies in our ward do an open house style shower. Refreshments in the kitchen, bride opening presents in the living room, come when you want, visit, leave. I guess this is more what they are turning to in showers now. This is the way the girls wanted to do it, but Tracy wanted it at the Stake Center instead of a house. So we did it there. I think it turned out OK. She opened presents while they ate, visited & answered the questions. They left as they were done. Best way to do it.

Sandra said...

Ya, Loretta, what little bit I was there for was nice. Much better than usual showers. Tell the girls I said good job.