Saturday, January 17, 2009

Draper Temple

We went to the Draper Temple open house this morning. I had never been in one of the smaller temples before. This one is beautiful. The chandeliers are gorgeous- of course. These sconces are my favorite and this picture does not do them justice. The baptismal font is also one of the prettiest I have ever seen. In the picture it looks kind of yellow, but in person it is a deep umber(?) color and the richness of the furnishings just does not come out in the pictures.

I saw my rheumatologist. He was one of the ushers. I got to be an usher at the Mt. Timpanogos temple open house. I was stationed in my favorite room- the Celestial Room. If you ever get the opportunity to be in the Mt. Timp celestial room when the sun comes up, jump at that chance, you will not regret it.

The tour for the Draper temple starts in the baptistry, then you head upstairs to the temple offices, dressing rooms, instructions rooms, then up again to the ordinance rooms and Celestial room. As I was explaining some things to Brandi, Iwas struck once again with the symbolism of the placement of rooms-

  • baptistry under ground for burial/renewal/coming forth,
  • the dressing rooms where we change from things of this world to prepare to stand before God.
  • Then we ascend to the ordinance rooms where we learn even more of God and the blessings He wishes to bestow upon us.
  • Finally the Celestial room, representative of being in the prescence of God.
  • This level also holds the sealing rooms where we can be joined as families forever, if we keep the covenants we make there

As we left the temple and walked back outside, I said to Kristina that I hate coming out of the temple and being reminded of the mundane worldly tasks that await me at home- laundry, cleaning, homework, etc. I think it was the smallness of this temple that allowed me to more fully grasp the concept of ascending and descending- it is more pronounced in this space than in the bigger temples.

If you are in the area during the open house, go, you will not be sorry. It is a beautiful temple. Ethan already asked if we can go do baptisms after it is dedicated. Of course I said yes.



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

No comments: