Saturday, September 10, 2016

Book Review- Stuck in the Game by Christopher Keene


*Disclaimer, I was given an ARC (advanced reader copy) of this book by the publisher in return for my review

Stuck in the Game by Christopher Keene

I am not sure about this book.  I'll be honest.  It was well written mostly. The descriptions brought the pictures to life in my mind, but I spent most of the book confused.  I am not a gamer so part of my confusion came from not understanding the jargon of "the game".  However, I think my biggest confusion came from the beginning of the book.

 I understood that Noah was stuck in some kind of cyber game, but that came from the description of the book. The description in the book was inadequate for me to truly understand what was happening. I would have liked to see a better description of what happened.  I am not always a fan of prologues, but I think this story could use one to help us understand what is happening with Noah, how he got into the game and why he doesn't want to be there.  Or even to help us understand how the game even works, because that was the most confusing thing for me.

Once I decided to just ignore the reason, or not knowing the reason, Noah is stuck where he is and just read the story as if it were a fantasy adventure/mystery, I began to enjoy the story and the adventure.  The action scenes were fun to read and I enjoyed them. Until the ending. That is where I was pulled back out of the story and my questions of who, why, how, came back.  And then with a miracle all was revealed and it all made sense. Sort of.  Some of those things would have been better if they had been revealed in the beginning or even sprinkled throughout the book instead of all revealed at the end because that made it feel as if the author was not sure how to end the book and just pulled out a surprise ending so he could end the book.

I am not sure whether I would recommend this book or not. If you are wanting a casual read? Probably not. If you are a gamer and want to read a book about gamers? Yes, get this book and read it.

It is available on Amazon nor Kindle now. You can get it here 














Indeed

No comments: