Friday, June 22, 2007

Counting Stars

"Jane was hoping for a date-maybe even a boyfriend. What she wasn't expecting was Paul Bryant's completely original and sincere pick-up line: Hi. I'm Paul. I have terminal cancer. My wife was killed in a car accident, and I'm looking for a woman to raise my children." **

Do you love romance novels? Do you live vicariously through the lives of those found on the pages of a romance novel. Could you take or leave a romance novel? Or does the thought of reading a romance novel set your teeth on edge? Whatever your feelings towards romance novels, here is one that you do not want to miss. "Counting Stars" by Michele Paige Holmes.

Jane is almost thirty, LDS, never been married and her family never lets her forget it. This induces here to answer a single's ad in the newspaper, thus altering her future forever. But then you already knew that, didn't you? After all this is a romance novel.

But wait, this isn't like any romance novel you may have read in the past. It turns out that Paul really does have terminal cancer and he really is just looking for someone to raise his children after he is gone.

Jane and Paul's children are thrust into a situation that is so maddening that you, along with Jane will want to kill Paul, if he weren't already dead, that is. It is here that Jane meets Pete, and of course the meeting is a disaster- don't forget this is a romance. But just when you think that Michele is finally following the traditional romance novel formula, she takes a turn that leaves you wanting more. Then just when you think you have the ending figured out (you know, they fight, they have to spend time together, the non-member joins the church, asks the girl to marry him while standing in front of the temple and they live happily ever after), Michele again turns down another road and you are pulled back into the lives of Jane, Pete and the kids.

Trust me, you will laugh, you will cry, you will cheer and you definately will look at the night sky in a whole new way. Even if the thought of reading a romance novel sets your teeth on edge, give this one a try.


**From the back of the book, "Counting Stars" by Michele Paige Holmes

5 comments:

Karlene said...

Okay, you've convinced me to add this to my Summer Reading Thing list as my "stretch" romance. So have you loaned it to anyone yet? Can I borrow it for 2 1/2 weeks?

Sandra said...

Of course you can borrow it. I really think that you will be glad you stretched with this one. She tells a great story.

Heather Moore said...

I read Counting Stars and loved it. I've already given copies away as birthday gifts.

Michele Holmes said...

Sandra,
Thank you for the kind review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Jane's story.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Well it sounds like a good book. I'll have to remember to look for it.