Monday, January 7, 2008

Of Shoes and Ships and Sealing Wax

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
From Alice, Through the looking Glass and What She Found There
Complete poem can be found here

For some reason, this has always been my favorite passage from Alice in Wonderland. I especially like it when I have a jumble of unrelated things that are rumbling around in my head. Like today.

*The dr. gave me some new medicine along with the accompanying literature. I am not sure if I want to know the side effects or not because when they show up, how do I know if they are for real or just psychosymatic? Especially the side effects that only show up in .000001 of the population. Am I really always in that population, or just think I am? And if I'm not, then I can just ignore the side effects? Even the ones that say "if this happens get to a dr. or emergency room immediately"?

*Apparantly women only wear earrings during the Christmas season. I think I mentioned earlier that I had to go on a jewlery diet as my jewlery population was exploding. I need a new earring holder. I got the one I have when I was 13. So I headed to my local Wal-Mart to get one. They didn't have any and I was told that it is a 'seasonal item" and in stock only te 4 weeks before Christmas. After that, they are not sold there until the next Dec. The woman at the jewelry counter at Target had never heard of an earring holder- didn't have a clue what it was.I asked her where women usually put their earrings and she said, "In a jumbled mess in a jewelry box." Claires also only carries them at Christmas time. The Organization Place carries them, but they sell out within an hour of getting them in. I wonder why?

So I went to Ikea and got two of these:

and a set of these:

I am going to put the hooks in my closet and hang one of the baskets from one of the hooks. My necklaces can go on the other hooks. My bracelets can go inside the basket and then, because the basket is soft, I can put my earrings hanging on the outside of the basket.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally in the "in the jewelry box in a jumbled mess" person. I didn't know people still hung earrings on a holder! WooHoo! Learned something new today!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I love that passage too!

I saw a cute thing the other day to organize earrings...use a 2 holed button to keep a pair together. I just keep my earrings sorted in an egg carton though.

Karlene said...

Ice cube trays. I have four—one pair of earrings per cube.