Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sweet Sabbath Day of Rest

I am not one that makes New Year Resolutions. If something in my life needs changed for whatever reason, I think I should take stock and make the change then, not just because the calendar says to. But if I were to make a resolution, I think that I would talk more about my religion and faith in Jesus Christ.

On Dec. 15, 2007, Elder M. Russel Ballard of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, told the graduating class at BYU-Hawaii that conversations about the church were going to take place whether we as members participated or not. (see talk here)

What I was thinking was this, those of you that read my blog and are of my same religion, know what I believe. However, those of you that are not of my religion possibly do not know what my church teaches. With Mitt Romney so prevelant in the spotlight right now, you may have some questions. I would like to help you with those, so fire away. Otherwise, on Sundays I am going to try to blog about whatever feels right that day regarding my faith.

We do not have a paid ministry, but instead we have a lay ministry and the Sunday sermons are preached by the congregation. Our clergy is made up of a bishopric and his two councelors. These men choose 2-3 members each week to speak to and teach us regarding a doctrine of our faith. Except on the first Sunday of the month.

On the first Sunday of the month, such as today, the time is given to the congregation to bear testimonies of faith. That being the case, today I would like to bear my testimony to each and every one of you.

I know that Jesus is the Christ. He is my Savior and my Redeemer. He lived upon this earth. He gave of Himself, a sacrifice for sin and sorrow. He atoned for me, personally. Because of this atonement, I am able to repent when I transgress. Because of this atonement, I will be able to one day live with my Father in Heaven again.

I know that the scriptures were given to us to help us and guide us here on the earth. I know that we have a prophet here on the earth today. I know that he talks with Heavenly Father and receives guidence for us. I also know, that I am able to also recieve guidence from my Heavenly Father if I will humble myself and ask for it. I am thankful for this coming year and the opportunity we have to spend it studying the Book of Mormon in our Sunday School classes.

I love my family, my parents for all that they taught me and their guidance as I was growing up and their continued guidance today. My siblings and their examples to me and their love no matter what. My children, my two stripling warriors- my they be as steadfast and obedient as Helaman's sons- my two daughters who bring laughter into my life, and the other three boys who are growing into men of God, strong and faithful.

This is my testimony, that God lives and loves us. Jesus is The Christ. And I testify of these things to you in the name of Him, amen.

No comments: