Friday, February 22, 2008

No Reservations


Catherine Zeta-Jones

Aaron Eckhart


From the back cover of the DVD:

"Want a perfectly prepared dish of tender quail in truffle sauce? Kate (Zeta-Jones), a workaholic master chef, can do that. But don't ask her what to do about the free-spirited, opera-loving sous chef (Eckhart) who joins the staff of her upscale Manhattan restaurant. Or what to do about the orphaned niece (Abigail Breslin), more partial to fish sticks than foie gras, who comes to live with her. "I wish there was a cookbook for life, with recipes telling us exactly what to do," Kate tells her therapist (B0b Balaban).

A love of life (and of great food!) spices up this warm-hearted and funny tale about a woman discovering a world bigger than her kitchen. Come on in. Something new and different is cooking at Kate's place."


This is your typical, formulaic romance. Girl has problem, meets boy, boy helps, they fall in love, they fight, they break up, they get back together and live happily ever after. Formulaic like all the great, sappy love stories: While You Were Sleeping, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The Wedding Planner, all those old great Fred and Ginger, Doris Day Rock Hudson movies.


And I loved it. I even cried, through most of it. (but I had a hard day this week and I needed a good cry) In my life, in my heart of hearts I am so much Nick, but in reality and action I fear that I am more Kate. I get really uptight and perfectionistic and forget to live. I think that was also a source of the tears- I want to stop being Kate and be more Nick- someone that knows how to have fun, how to really live life in the moment and to cherish those moments, but to also know when to be serious and how to direct my life where I want it. Instead, I am Kate- afraid to live my life because I might get hurt. again.


Wow, where did all that come from? Well, back to the movie, if you haven't seen it, then see it. A great movie, one worth purchasing and watching over and over. In fact, I will be purchasing it and curling up on the couch with a blanket and cocoa and cookies and watching it again.

No comments: