Monday, April 14, 2008

Extravaganza time

I am not sure what it is like in the rest of the country, but here asking a girl to prom is a big production. I don't really understand the why's of it, but it is what it is, I guess.

Matt called me the other day as I was leaving work wanting to know where I purchase my large quantities of balloons and how much would a room full cost and could he borrow my electric balloon pump. It seems that he wanted to ask his choice for prom date by filling her room full of balloons, inside one would be the invitation so she would have to pop them until she found the question.

Being the nice wonderful mom that I am, I told him to just go into my stash of balloons and take what he wanted. I haven't done party decorating for a couple of years and they were just sitting there, so he just as well use them. So he did.

When he was in kindergarten, picture day happened to be on the same day that Matt's uncle got married. Matt was the ring bearer for the wedding and the rehersal was that morning. So we got Matt dressed in his tux, went to the rehersal and than ran over to the school for pictures. For his prom invitation, he took a copy of that picture of him in his tux and wrote something like this:
Now that you have seen me in a tux in kindergarten, how about seeing me in a tux at prom? Put it in one of the ballloons. Jess and her friend went over to the girl's house while they were out and filled the balloons and put them all in her room.

Friday night, the girl still had not answered Matt yes or no. Friday night she called me with a crazy idea. Matt has a hot pink room. He and Trevor, a few years ago went crazy and decided they wanted to paint their room Flamingo Pink. It was their room and who am I to argue. I have always hated that flourecent color. Lately Matt has been asking if he could paint his room. I was so happy about that. So when "W" called me Friday and said,
"You know how Matt has been wanting to paint his room? And tomorrow is the ACT and he will be gone all morning? Well we just finished painting our house and if it is ok with you, can I come over when he leaves, with my dad, and paint his room leaving a big pink 'YES' on one of the walls?"
I agreed.


W and Brandi prepping the room





The answer
I wasn't home when Matt got home, but I hear that his response was, Who was in my room? Where is all my stuff? Wait, SHE PAINTED MY ROOM?!!! This is way better than balloons, where's the phone"
I fear that they have set a high standard for anything else. What's next, sky writing?
I forgot to add that when she left, she shut his door and taped a picture of her taken while she was in kindergarten, all dressed up in a cute sunday/fancy dress. It said- "Now that you have seen me all dolled up in kindergarten, you get to see me all dolled up for prom".

5 comments:

ShazBraz said...

that is hilarious!

Josi said...

That is down right cool, dang, how very creative. However, if this ever happens to me, I might ask them to paint the living room instead. then again, if my son has a pink room I'd probably put that at the top of my list afterall. What a cool mom you are!

tawnya said...

She painted his room? Dang...

Cookie baker Lynn said...

So cute!

Tristi Pinkston said...

I just tagged you!

http://tristipinkston.blogspot.com/2008/04/tag.html