Monday, June 30, 2008

My Flag, My Flag, My Country's Flag

My dad calls Wal-Mart "the great and spacious building". Still, I shop there because it is close, it is convenient, lower prices and I can always find something I didn't know I needed. This morning, however, I was offended to my very core.

I needed some containers to help in the organization of my office. After I chose them, I headed over to the seasonal aisle to pick up some bunting and other do-dads for decor for this week. There was no seasonal aisle for the 4th of July. Nothing, Nada, Nunca, zippo. I finally located an endcap with a few military flags, small flags on sticks,a music box that played 3 patriot songs and waved a flag when you punched the button, and headbands with light up glittery stars on them.

I asked an employee if that was all of their patriotic merchandise. She stated that they had colored paper plates around the corner. Now, if the pitiful offerings I had just been presented with was not enough what I was confronted with when I turned the corner made me so angry. The "colored plates" had the flag, the American flag, printed all over them. And sitting right next to them were packages full of paper, throw away, napkins emblazoned with the symbol of our rights and liberties. The flag of my country used to wipe the ketchup, mustard and relish off of someone's face!

You may not realize it, but we do have fedral law that regulates the way our flag should be treated. We started out with very little to govern how to treat our standard. In fact, there was a time when it was ok to write on the flag. But we do have a flag code that should be followed:


American Flag Etiquette.
Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:


  • *The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source. *The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
    *The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
    *The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
    *The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
    *The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
    *The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
    *The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    *When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
    *The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
    *When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

In our lives, we use symbols all the time. A gold ring on the third finger of someone's left hand represents a commitment to love and honor another person, to give your life for theirs if need be. A pole with red, blue and white stripes means a barber works in the building. Big golden arches mean someone is going to ask if you want fries with that. A piece of cloth with 13 alternating red and white stripes, a blue field with 50 white stars means that men and women died so that I have the right to voice my opinion on this matter. Their blood was spilled so that I have the right to choose what kind of life I want, to pursue my dreams or not as I so choose. My boys are willing to die to preserve that freedom for everyone that lives here. Yet this weekend someone will take the symbol of their sacrifice and eat off of it and wipe their dirty hands on it and throw it away and call it patriotism.

When **Amalickiah wanted to be king and hold all the power, and many of the Nephites were flattered by his words and listening to him, Moroni made a standard, a banner, a flag, even a Title of Liberty, that all were to fly from their homes that when they looked upon it they would remember. These are the words he wrote upon it:

"In memory of our God,

Our religion, and freedom,

and our peace, our wives,

and our children"

He also knelt down and prayed to our Heavenly Father "for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long s there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land." In verse 30 of Alma 46 we read how Moroni called his people together to remembrance by saying,

"Behold, whosoever will maintain this title upon the land, let them come forth in the strength of the Lord, and enter into a covenant that they will maintain their rights, and their religion, that the Lord God may bless them."

It is time that we, the American people, opened our eyes and realized that we have allowed so many things to become common place and profane. (Profane- to take something sacred and make it ordinary) We do not even see the flag anymore. Does your heart stir when you see the flag stirring in the breeze? When you hear the national anthem, do you stop and listen? When you attend a parade, do you stand and place your hand over your heart when Old Glory passes by? Do you raise a silent prayer to the heavens in gratitude for those that made this life possible for you? What price freedom? It was purchased dearly for us and we should do no less than to honor the symbol of that price.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price o chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! Give me liberty, or give me death."


Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

The title of this post was taken from a song in the Children's hymn book

*Taken from the American Flag Site
**Alma Chapter 46,
The Book of Mormon



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that instead of giving my preachy patriotic 4th message this year, I'll just have them read your blog. You said it much better than I ever did. Love ya
Dad

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I may not be American, but this issue touches anyone with patriotic feelings. Beautifully and powerfully written.

Unknown said...

Sandra - thank you so much for writing about your thoughts and feelings for America and her flag. I'm behind you 100%. The flag represents all the blood and lives sacrificed so that we can "take it for granted" now. It breaks my heart.