Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back and forth

Update. I took my laptop in this morning. Someone did indeed drop what he was doing and get right to work on it. 2 hours later there was a call saying it was done. I didn't get back in to pick it up for about another 2 hours though. But when I got it home... you guessed it, it still was not right. When I called and asked about it, they guy asked me, "Well, I can give you a way to work around that, you have to go into the control panel, open this program, use this setting to open another program..." . When I told him I didn't want to do it with a work around, I wanted it to work the way it is supposed to work he asked me "Why do you need it that badly?" "UM, because I paid you to fix it so it worked right?" Since I don't have time to take it in tonight AGAIN, I will have to take it next week. I am not a happy consumer right now. And I usually sing the praises of this place, but not this time.

Phone rings

"Hi this is Neil from PC Laptops. Your computer is all done and ready to go."

Me- "Um, I thought you guys said it would be 3-4 days before you could even look at it?"

Neil "Well, I got ahead of my stuff and had time to get to yours today."

Me "I'll be right down to pick it up"

So I go and pick it up. Now PC Laptops is not just a quick jaunt from my house, but about 30 miles away. But I make the time and go get my computer, bring it home, turn it on and it is not fixed. Sure, the awful viruses, spyware and trojans that had hijacked it are gone, but so are the settings, screensavers, backgrounds, internet options, my ability to change any of those things and who knows what else.

So I pick up the phone and call them thinking that since I really am not very computer literate that perhaps I just need to click or unclick a box somewhere that I don't know where is.

"PCLaptops where we love you. This is Trevor"

Me "Hi Trevor. I just came and picked up my laptop about an hour ago, brought it home and it doesn't work." I then explain what is wrong

Trevor "Can you get on the internet?"

Me "Yes, but my tool bars are all gone, I can't get to the internet options- I get a box telling me that that is forbidden by the computer settings."

Trevor "What did we do to fix your computer?"

Me "You removed some viruses, spyware and trojans"
Trevor "Hang on a moment"

(They did have some cool hold music- theme songs from old 70's t.v. shows so it wasn't too bad)

Trevor "I hate to tell you this, but one of the trojans we removed also changes all of your settings and removes some programs. There are even things missing that I bet you don't notice for a couple of weeks. If you will bring that right back in we will drop everything and fix it for you"

Me" I live in PG and can't be there before you close. Can I bring it in in the morning?"

Trevor "See you bright and early in the morning then!"

So now I have to make the trek all the way back down to their store. That is a lot of gas and time that I really did not want to use. Part of me knows that every technition cannot possibly know what every virus, trojan and spy ware does to your computer, but couldn't he have looked it up before he called me to come down there today? Couldn't he have turned on my computer and checked if all of those things were working? I really don't have 2 hours tomorrow to take my computer and then turn around and go back and get it. Oh well C'Est La Vie



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

2 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh how frustrating!

Karlene said...

I have always loved PC laptops. It's so disappointing to hear that. I would have thrown a fit!