Friday, August 22, 2008

Is it really Friday?

It has been a busy week for me. But that is ok, I would rather be busy than bored. If this week is any indication of how the school year is going to go, it is going to be great. When I walked into my office this morning, there was an envelope with my name on my desk. Inside was a thank-you note from the administration for helping make this week a good one for the students. Along with the note was a $10 gift card to Chili's. I know all of the staff got one, but it was great anyway. I never got even a verbal thank-you at the last school and I have already recieved 2 gift certificates from this administration just for showing up at work. And as I was redoing some files for one of the assistant principals yesterday, she walked by and said, "Sandra, you're the best".

I already feel part of this faculty and staff. I am always busy with something to do. When the freedom bell rings at the end of the day, I look up in surprise that it has gone so quickly. At the school I transfered from, I would have been twiddling my thumbs and watching the clock. Actually by this time in the school year I would have marked my calendar with how many days left in the school year, how many weeks, and if I felt adventerous I might have even calculated hours left. I would have also finished all three of David Woolley's Promised Land series so that I could be re-aquainted with everyone when I get my book 4 (it is pre-ordered so I should get it the day it comes in). I loved the teachers and most of the students there, and miss them (Hi Lindsey- how is the big move coming?) The problem came in that I was not allowed to do what I was hired to do. Those duties were taken away from me one by one and given to somone else just because I am a woman and he was a man. I read my reference letter from the principal and was told what the vice-principal said about me when he was called by my current administration. Both of them were glowing referals and they both tried to talk me into staying but I really did not go to school for 7 years to be a hall monitor. But that is all I am going to say about my former job, because I still get angry and don't want to be angry today.

Tonight is our first football game of the season. I am going to supervise (read that as stamp hands as people come through the gate) and get paid for it. My lunch duties have gotten easier as I learn the computer program and don't feel 2000 students breathing down my neck while I try to make change. I am getting to know the school, I recognize some of the students now, I don't have very much hall duty, I am busy from the moment I walk in the school until I leave, I have a computer at my desk now and all the programs I need to keep track of student grades work, the police officer and I have established a working relationship and we have identified some at risk students already, and it is a much better environment to work in. In fact, I lost 5 pounds this week- without even trying. How cool is that?

Oh, and my business is growing and I am sponsoring a give-away here .

But the best thing of all? My son and his sweet wife and their baby are being sealed in the Salt Lake temple in the morning. I have prayed for this day for so long.

I had better get off the computer now or no one will have supper before I have to leave and no clean clothes to wear to the temple in the morning.



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

6 comments:

tawnya said...

I hope everyone has a beautiful day tomorrow. I'm sorry we won't be there with you all!

ShazBraz said...

Yay for the good week!

Yay Yay for the 5 pounds!

More Yays than I can fit here for Donovan!

lindsey said...

I am SOOOO glad that you are loving your new school! Yeah for new jobs! :) And free food!

And the big move is...BIG!

Jeri said...

enjoying your job really makes such a difference. I'm so happy for you.

And super congrats to your kids and their temple sealing. that's so wonderful! have a super day tomorrow!

David G. Woolley said...

Well done mom!

Unknown said...

Sandra--I didn't know you were David Wooley's mom :-)

I also just have to let you know about a GREAT new and safe LDS website for sisters only, called "Our Ladies Room" at http://www.ourladiesroom.com/

Lots of super ladies on there already, and plenty of groups and forums to join and discuss a ton of issues.

Hope to see you there!

Oh, and I have a book contest running on my blog again, in case you want to check it out :-)