Monday, September 22, 2008

I should have made a right turn in Alburquerque

Can I just complain a bit here? Who designed the little itty bitty unlit street signs on the corners of the streets in Salt Lake City? Really people. I always get lost when I go to Salt Lake. And I am sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that I hate to drive there, or that I never know where I am going and have no idea if I am headed north, south, east, west, up, down, over, under, or through. No, I know it is all the fault of whoever decided that the street signs should be teeny, in the corner and unlit.

I was making a quick little 1 hour trip tonight. I had an Urban Botanic order to deliver in West Jordan. No big deal, I have been to her house before. I have a party in West Valley on Saturday. Then I found out that David Woolley was doing a book signing just a few block from the party site and it would start about 1/2 hour before I need to be at the party.

Here was my plan for tonight:

Drive to the bookstore to make sure I knew where it is. Drive from the bookstore to the party address so I could time it to make sure I would have enough time to do both. Then go from the party address to the delivery home. I did fine until I exited the freeway. And I am blaming Jacob because he didn't understand the google map instructions and I missed the first turn because he couldn't tell me if I should go left or right. I went left. I should have gone right. And it went downhill from there.

I finally found the bookstore. Once I found Redwood Road, and was headed the right direction, finding the bookstore was easy. Well, easy after a couple of U turns Next, just a small 10 mile trip to the party addrss. Except the road the map wanted me to take? It doesn't exist! And I am pretty sure that entering the turn lane where I did would have been frowned on by law enforcement. But the signs are so tiny and unlit and I couldn't see them until I was almost under them. I finally found it after a bunch of backtracking. Someone really should light these signs, or make them bigger or cut the trees in front of them or something.

The delivery was easy after this, but only because I had been there before. The easiest part? Coming home. But only because I have been here before.

So, I decided a couple of things tonight.

  • I am glad I tried driving it tonight so I that I am not lost on Saturday
  • I will leave in time to be early to the bookstore
  • I will have the hostess give me directions to her house from the bookstore
  • I was just kidding about blaming Jacob. That turned into a teaching moment about one wrong turn taking us so far off course when we realized that how close we had been to start with
  • Street signs in Salt Lake are way to small and dark
  • I need a GPS



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

7 comments:

tawnya said...

Do you know what cures this? Living in Portland and then San Diego. I no longer fear driving in SLC. It's so tiny. Or anywhere, really. 4 years of SoCal driving will cure you of this, I swear!

Karlene said...

I love my GPS. Sometimes it takes me odd ways, but it always gets me to where I want to go. :) I have a Garvin, but I"ve heard TomTom is good too.

David G. Woolley said...

Don't listen to Karlene. She choose a book with high heels in the cover over a book with Lehi on the cover. How lame is that?

Sandra said...

I remember, Karlene, when we used your GPS. And you did choose a book with high heels. But then again, they are cute shoes, and your GPS did get you home from Kentucky.

And Tawnya, I never was lost when I was in CA. or Portland. But then I did have Jessica with me, and somehow she always knows the way.

I'm still leaving early.

loretta said...

I knew you should have paid more attention to bugs bunny with me on Saturday mornings instead of doing your chores like a good girl. teeheehee See how it pays off now?

Sandra said...

Yes, well, I always was the "good" sister.
I did keep seeing Bugs popping up in the middle of the bull ring with a map. That is just how I felt last night.

G. Parker said...

A GPS is only as good as you want it to be...lol. We almost tossed the one we borrowed to go to Oklahoma out the window when it kept voicing concern that we weren't following directions (we were shopping!). I hate the poorly lighted street signs as well, and I've lived there. That was one thing I was impressed with the main lay out of Lawton...very Brigham Youngish...
ARen't you glad your home now...grin