Wednesday, September 17, 2008

To everything there is a time

We had a different kind of stake conference a couple of weeks ago. We gathered in our stake center as usual, but the conference was shown by video feed to stakes in Utah county, Wasatch county and the BYU stakes. We heard from Elder Marlin K. Jensen (Hi Allison), Ann Dibb, Boyd K Packer, and Dieter F. Uchtdorf. It was a great conference and I didn't want it to end. I would have been happy to stay for the second session, the re-broadcast, and hear it all again. I am going to have to see if it was recorded and get a copy if it was.

While I loved all the talks and took a lot of notes, it is Pres. Uchtdorf's talk that touched my spirit the most. His is the talk that I felt was meant just for me. That he was speaking to me personally, one on one, heart to heart. It was answer to questions, thoughts, themes I have had in my mind for a while now. And it was some of the same council that I have been receiving from my bishop and daddy, but it put some things a bit more into place for me. While the big picture is still not perfectly clear, it is easier to see and the outlines of shapes are beginning to form.

He spoke about increasing our faith in our Heavenly Father and in Jesus Christ. He asked us what we are personally doing to increase this faith. Are our answers quick and shallow, you know, the Sunday School answers? Or are they soul searching, deep and ispired for our situation? Pres. Uchtdorf then went on to state that when we are ready, we can then be taught from on high, but that our answers will follow God's timetable, but when the time comes, we must follow the instructions if we want to be blessed with increased faith.

This seems to be a recurring theme for me lately. There is a situation in my life that I would like changed, yesterday already please. In one way or another, I keep being told, In the Lord's time it will happen and it will be great when it does, but not yet, not yet, not yet. I used to think I was patient person, but I am beginning to think that patience is one of the things I am being taught. Patience and the willingness to listen and obey.

As I am reading Day of Remembrance, the timing of heaven is a running theme. So many things I never thought of, or thought to think of. I am once again humbled by my lack, by my impatience, by my mortal short sightedness. When I think I know so much better what is right and best for me and my kids, I really need to stop and listen and trust. The Lord knows what and when is best.

Pres. Uchtdorf also gave us three daily practices that will help us to succeed in this life.

1. Always hold a current temple recommend

2. Study the word of God daily. Doing this will bring us closer to God. It will also make our homes a place of refuge from the world.

3. Speak with our Father in Heaven. We should let no day pass with out speaking with Him.

There was so much more to his talk, so many more things that touched my heart but I am having a hard time sharing them in such a public forum. One thing I had not remembered until I looked at my notes again to type this, the closing song was "I Stand All Amazed". Perhaps that is why it touched me so strongly this past Sunday?

I am so very much looking forward to General Conference in two weeks. Who knows what great morsels I will be able to glean from those talks.



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

2 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'm so full from our recent Stake Conference that I think General Conference will top me up to overflowing. I kind of wish they were more spread out!

Heather Moore said...

Yes, that was the same stake conference I listened to. Really great talks. Thanks for recapping the messages.