Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Parody

I told you that I don't like Halloween. I have my reasons, but don't want to go into them in public. But, there are some things about Halloween that I do like:


  • dressing up or more like a reason to dress up
  • carving pumpkins in elaborate designs
  • dinner in a pumpkin
  • the cute costumes for grandbabies
  • another reason to take pictures of the cute grandbaby
  • carmel apples (except I don't eat sugar anymore, but the thought of the carmel is enough)
  • the sound of dry leaves scraping the pavement in the wind
  • scary stories
  • cute halloween stories for kids

Speaking of cute halloween stories for kids, I just found the cutest one. I saw the cover and knew I would love it, and I do.

Clicking on the book will take you to some of the inside pages.

There is a cold gray tomb, mummies rubbing tummies, a skull, a shoe and a pot full of goo. Of course baby werewolf has to say good night to monsters everywhere.

Baby werewolf is trying to go to sleep, but the goon has come out from under the bed and is wreaking havock in the tomb. the illustrations are wonderful and the cold gray tomb is everything that the greata green room is not, namely clean and cozy. the artist used pencil drawings colored in photoshop. Who knew you could use photoshop to make something so deep and rich and great looking?

Buy the book here, or try your local book store. I got mine at Wal-Mart. Share it with your little goons this halloween. Written by Michael Rex

Reading level: Ages 4-8
Hardcover: 32 pages
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile (August 14, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0399245340
ISBN-13: 978-0399245343
Product Dimensions: 10.1 x 8.5 x 0.5 inches






Indeed.

add to kirtsy

12 comments:

ShazBraz said...

Um, Sandra...I hate to tell you, but it sounds like maybe you do like Halloween...

I will have to check out that book for Sage. Our favorite Halloween-y book is "My Monster Mama Loves Me So".

tawnya said...

I don't know how you can NOT love halloween considering our mom!

We just got sammy a very cool Halloween book. Love it. And taught him to say pumpkin.

Sandra said...

Ok, maybe it is the principle of what it stands for that I do not like- maybe. We will have to discuss it when we get together next.

Tawnya- I am not sure what you mean "considering our mom" Perhaps the mother of your youth was different than the mother of my youth? Halloween when I was a kid was just another day.

tawnya said...

Hmmm. Yeah. I don't get the whole Halloween = evil thing. It's not a particular evil day, even in it's beginnings. But I won't bother you about it anymore! I'll just stick with you believe differently and that's ok.

Yeah, maybe so. The mother of my youth made it impossible to walk in the house it was so covered with skeletons and cobwebs and ghosts and witches and stuffed jack o lantern scarecrow on the porch with a "shotgun" across his lap...

There was scary music CD that always played (dude...who has that cardboard record of the man & the white hair and the doorbell we used to listen to on a different speed? Now that was scary...)

Mom loves Halloween. I could go on and on!

ShazBraz said...

Awwwww!! I think about that story all the time and I get SO scared!

Do you know that the scarecrow with the "gun" actually scared one of my dates once who thought it was dad?

tawnya said...

I hadn't thought about it in forever...I don't know why it just popped in my head!

I remember that. So funny...

Sandra said...

Wow, different moms all together! I don't think there was ever even a ceramic pumpkin in the house. And I never ever dressed up for trick or treat.

As for you bothering me, Tawnya- not a bother, just different experiences in our lives that have brought us to different places. And that is ok. Some day I will tell you in person what those were for me.

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I agree--it's such a weird, unChristian thing! I'm glad we didn't celebrate it in England when I was a child, or I'd have been scared to go to bed on the 31st!

I guess it's a bonus for storekeepers.

Karlene said...

I love the dressing up part of Halloween. I still dress up nearly every year. And I like the fun monsters. I do not like the haunted houses/forests. And I don't like scary stories or movies.

Tristi Pinkston said...

That book looks adorable!

Anonymous said...

I still have the cardboard record. Cirmustances change, ya' know. Love Mom