Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's yer birthday

14 years ago, today, I gave birth for the last time. It was the worst pregnancy ever and the delivery was an emergency to keep me from dying. My baby was 6 weeks early, 4 lbs 2 oz and healthy as a horse. Well, a sea horse anyway given his size. I, however, was not well so we spent a week in the hospital while I somewhat recovered. I also did not know what to do with such a small bundle because all my other children had been born half grown!



Here he is at 1 week. You can see by the kitchen scale I used to weigh him how small he was. I kept the bowl as a souvineer for him.

I know the bathroom is a mess in this picture, but keep in mind I had not been allowed out of bed for the past 3 months and spent most of that in the hospital trying to not have the baby. His due date was not until almost Christmas. And if you were to come over today, the bathroom looks much better since I ripped out the cabinets and flooring and redid it.

All the kids. Based on what he is wearing, I would say this was Jake's blessing day. The back of the picture says Nov. 1994, but it was probably early Dec. Doesn't it look like Jess is holding a doll? With his head in the palm of my hand, he didn't even reach to my elbow. I had to buy special diapers and clothes to fit him. Back then the stores didn't carry preemie stuff and it had to be special ordered and was very expensive. He grew so fast that I ended up with a case of diapers left over. I kept one diaper so he could see how small he was, and donated the rest to a family that had a baby in the NICU at the hospital.

Here he is two summers ago at Bridal Veil Falls.
He always has that solemn expression.




Last spring (he's the one with the flag tie)




Here he is playing football? frisbee? what was it kids?
at my sister's house this past Labor Day.
He is the most absent minded person I know. I tell him that is a sign that he will be a great scientist or inventor some day. And he says, "O.K. ... Wait. What?" I kid you not. I hear that out of his mouth more than anything.
But he is also one of the sweetest people you will ever know and I wouldn't trade him for anything.
Love you son. Happy Birthday.

Indeed.

add to kirtsy

1 comment:

loretta said...

I remember Dawna coming to my house after I had Lexie. She saw a dress laying on the hamper & said what a cute little doll dress is was. I then told her it was Lexie's & she couldn't believe she could wear something so tiny.