Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sleight of Hand


When Daniel, a fifty-five-year-old con man, suffers a heart attack and dies, he meets his guardian angel, Jonah, on the other side.  Jonah shows him to a beautiful cabin and tells him this will be his eternal home.  Daniel is sure he was able to scam his way into heaven—he scammed everyone on earth, so why not heaven too?  But as he spends time in his cabin, all alone, he realizes that he’s actually in a wasteland.  Jonah presents him with a way to escape, but will Daniel want to pay the price for his freedom?

I really enjoyed this book. It is another quick read, but the development of Daniel's character is not sleighted at all. At the beginning of the book I really did not like Daniel at all, but as he learned and grew and changed, he became someone I could root for and hope that he would make the necessary changes and realize and learn the things he needed to learn in order to become the person he truly should be. I think the thing that made the changes in Daniel believable to me and not just words on a page, was that Daniel himself did not realize the changes that were taking place in the way he thought and acted, and when the final choice came I think even he was surprised by the actual choice that he does make.

For some reason, as I was reading this book, I was reminded of The Screwtape Letters  by C.S. Lewis. However I cannot figure out why because the books are nothing at all alike, but still, I felt myself wanting to go pick up Mr. Lewis' book and re-read it.

I recieved this book as a PDF for my review, and I will not be deleting it from my laptop. I will keep it and read it again.  





Indeed

No comments: