Monday, June 10, 2013

Young Chefs



When Christina Dymock asked me if I would like to review her Young Chefs cookbook I was so excited to be able to try out some new recipies in the kitchen with Brandi- even though she is a bit older than the typical "young chef"

So here it is.

When I got the pdf and opened it up I was excited all over again.  I was reminded of the first cookbook I ever got from Mrs. Nash when I was in 3rd grade.  I loved that book.  So much that I still have it, stained and dog eared and marked up and I used it for every single one of my seven children when they were learning to cook.  Christina's book will be one of those, I am sure. 

Once you open this book you'll know that it definitely was written with children in mind.   There are recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, and Sides.  All with pictures and written in language that little ones will understand and love to try.

You can check them out here if you want.  (While you are there you can place an order for your children or children that you love and know would love to learn to cook)

What I love about this book:
The pictures of the tools needed so little ones can see at a glance what they need. And learn the correct names of the tools.  This also helps little ones know if the recipe they chose is something they can tackle alone or if they need an older person's help.

The glossary.  I love it for the same reason.  It helps children, and sometimes their older helper, learn the correct terms used in cooking. There are times that I am in the middle of making something and have to stop and look up what the recipe wants me to do.  And there are times that I have found that the writer of the recipe has used the wrong term given the description of what they wanted.  If you learn the correct terms at the beginning it makes it easier as you move to more complicated recipes.

The how-to's Simple and easy descriptions and pictures of the basics. How to measure dry ingredients, wet ingredients, when to use what tool etc.  And good pictures to go along with the descriptions.

The recipes- Smoothies, Spreads, Waffles, Muffins, Tacos, Sandwiches, Lasagna rolls, Flautas, Trail Mix, Fruit Dip, Popsicles, Pizza, Stew, Chicken, Green Salad, Pasta Salad, Cool Strawberry Sidekick....
These are just a few of the yummy recipes included.  They are simple and easy and fun to make, but are yummy enough want to eat everyday.

I looked for a children's cookbook to get for my children when they were learning and we got some, but there were so few of the recipes that we actually ended up using because they were complicated, used ingredients I didn't just keep around and let's be honest here, some of them just took more of my involvement than I was willing to give at the moment.  I really wish this book had been around when I had little kids.

I love this book and recommend it.

You can get it here

Christina's blog is here
Get it, love it, use it.

Happy eating.

disclaimer: I was given a pdf file of a review copy in exchange for my revies.


Indeed

No comments: