Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Basketball

The boys at school played a basketball yesterday. A couple of the boys on the team have been asking me to attend and yesterday I was able to.

9th grade boys are at an awkward stage of growth and nothing brings that to mind like a group of them in basketball uniforms. They are all legs and arms and feet. The reminded me a bit of Robin Hood in the Disney cartoon version, when he dresses up as a stork. But I digress.

It was not a pretty game. The other team played extremely well. It was obvious that they had played together for many years. Even their drills were a picture of precision. I don't think a ball ever left their hands but what it went through the basket. I remember when I was in high school and attended a game with my daddy and he cheered a play from the opposing team. Of course I was not happy, but he explained to me that it is good sportsmanship to acknowledge a good play no matter who makes it.

Well, at yesterdays game, I silently applauded the opposing team. Our boys know they were not playing well and with each basket missed by us or made by the opposition, you could see it on the faces of our team, dejetion and frustration. I did not want to add to it by open admiration for their opposition. But it was clearly a mismatch. We lost by about 70 points. Not a pretty site.

On a good note, though, we had a full house of support from students attending the game and they were all good sports and showed good sportsmanship and I was proud of them for that.

1 comment:

lindsey said...

I LOVE when our kids pull through and are SO good. Deep down, they are just nice kids trying to figure themselves out!

Great post!