Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Still, Still, Still

I love the quietness of this song. To me it is like a lullaby and I love that. The very title evokes a quietness. The stillness of a mother singing her baby back to sleep after a middle of the night feeding. This stillness reminds me that my Lord and Savior was once a child and had to learn line upon line, just as I do, He just learned it better and faster without the needed repeat lessons. It reminds me that He cried in the night, just as my babies did and Mary needed to love and comfort Him, just as He loves and comforts me in the long dark nights of my life.

This song's quietness also reminds me of the falling snow in the night, the snow that falls in large, sticky flakes that blanket the ground with white- pure and pristine in the morning. Just as we will be in the morning of the resurection, made possible by our Savior.

It also reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures, found in two different places:

Ps. 46: 10
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Doctorine & Covenants 101: 16
16 Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God

My favorite rendition of this song is by Elise Adams. Elise gave me her CD the year it was released when I was a vendor at a booksellers convention. It was August, but the CD quickly became one of my favorite.

Listen to it here (open the song in another window and listen to it while you come back here and read the words)

Here are the words:

Still, Still, Still

Still, still, still
One can hear the falling snow.
For all is hushed,
The world is sleeping,
Holy Star its vigil keeping.
Still, still, still,
One can hear the falling snow.
Sleep, sleep, sleep,
'Tis the eve of our Saviour's birth.
The night is peaceful all around you,
Close your eyes,
Let sleep surround you.
Sleep, sleep, sleep
'Tis the eve of our Saviour's birth.

Dream, dream, dream,
Of the joyous day to come.
While guardian angels without number
Watch you as you sweetly slumber.
Dream, dream, dream,
Of the joyous day to come.

No comments: