Thursday, August 7, 2008

Convention time

I used to work for a publisher. I think it was one of my favorite jobs ever. I was filing for divorce, I needed a job, I needed to be mom, I wanted to be mom, I needed to pay bills. I was praying to find a job that would let me do both. I went to Relief Society and one of the sisters stood up and told us that she needed an assistant in her business. I went, I applied, I was hired and thus began one of the best friendships I have ever known. But that whole story will have to wait for another time, this story is about a publishing convention of sorts.

The company I worked for published LDS publications- mostly in the self-help genre. The LDS publishing industry has an association that LDS publishers can belong to if they so desire. This company did. The association is called LDS Booksellers association (LDSBA). Each year, in August, LDSBA holds a big convention where all of the publishing companies can show off their new releases and what is coming down the line to all of the buyers for LDS bookstores around the world. I went to my first LDSB after working for this company for 1 week. Didn't have a clue what I was doing or what I was talking about, but I listened and learned.

The next year I was able better to talk about our books and authors and I loved it. After that I looked forward to LDSBA all year. In January the LDSBA head commitee would announce the theme for that year's convention and I would start planning for decorations for our booth for the convention. My excitement for convention would grow the closer the time came. At times I felt almost like a kid on Christmas Eve. I loved LDSBA. I made friends and each year looked forward to seeing the buyers from around the world. Knowing these people also made it easier when I had to talk to them on the phone throughout the year. (a little side note, one year a buyer would not talk to the owner, but asked for me instead Now that felt good).



I loved working with our authors. I loved getting to know them as people. I loved helping them with what they needed during signings. I loved when we would get a shipment of books brand new from the printer. I loved the smell of the new ink. The best part? Opening the first carton of books and opening that first book. It was always a thrill to call the author and let them know that their books had arrived. If I was the one that got the privilege of opening the box and calling the author, I would call the author and open the first box while I was on the phone with them. I loved that.

I loved going to convention and seeing and meeting everyone. I met a lot of authors and artists over the 6 conventions that I attended as an employee. Some of them are like most "celebrities" that one meets, "Hi, how are you? Nice to meet you. Thanks for liking my work." that kind of stuff. I don't think they would even remember me now. Some of them I made a bigger connection with and we still keep in touch. Some in a Christmas card sort of way and others with e-mails.

Two years ago the company I worked for went out of business and I moved on into working in the education field. I knew that convention would be what I missed the most. Last year the owner of that company attended, just not as a vendor and she took me with her. This year she was able to get tickets and she took me with her again. I loved that I was able to be there and see old friends again, meet new ones, see who wasn't there, who was new, talk to authors and all that jazz again. I told you she was a good friend, didn't I?



When we got there, we walked around, took some pictures for another friend that couldn't make it but needed pictures for her blog. By the time we got to Deseret Book's booth and looked at their author signing schedule, we realized that we had missed J. Scott Savage. Bummer.


Then we turned the corner and he was still there signing copies of Farworld! Yay!
Karlene grabbed a copy of Farworld since Jeff was talking to customers right then. We looked through the book at the illustrations and I sneaked a couple pictures.

Here is the map of Farworld



Here is the illustration at the beginning of Part 2 of the book.


Karlene, J. Scott Savage, Me


I swear I looked better when I left the house this morning. What can I say, I don't photograph well. I usually pay a photographer lots of money to make me look good. But I got my picture with J. Scott Savage, so it is all good, right?

We walked around some more. Talked to more people. Got some free stuff. Walked around some more. I was kinda bummed because my favorite author, David G. Woolley, had his book signing yesterday. Oh well. Then Karlene noticed on the schedule that he had changed spots with someone and would actually be there today. I think I did a good job of containing my high school girl hoping to meet her favorite star enthusiasm. How'd I do Karlene?

The down side of that, though, is that his publisher, Covenant, gives out tickets to buyers to come by and pick up a free copy of the book, which means that I still have to wait until the end of September for my copy. But I will be first in line that morning to get my copy. I stood in the line anyway.


David talking to buyers as he signs their copy of the book. Lucky people.

I'll try to curb my jealousy of their having a copy and not me.

My name tag is not in it's holder because I had David sign it since I didn't get a copy of his new masterpiece.

We were laughing because I had just told him that I couldn't give him a hint about something I know that he wants to know.

David, I am going to chance it and hope she doesn't get too mad, but I am going to give you a hint anyway...

Her initials are not "LY"

So all in all, it was a good day. Free books, offers to blog about some cool stuff later (details coming on that, but you will love them), old frieds, pictures with authors, and the surprise of meeting your favorite author. Happy times.


Indeed.

add to kirtsy



5 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Talk of events like this down your way has had me feeling just the weest bit green around the gills. It's bad enough Utah has my best friend, you get to have all the good LDS literary fun down there as well!

I'm not pouting though. Nope.

Sandra said...

Kimberly,

So when you finish your book and it is published, you can come down for convention, I will stand in line and have my picture taken with you and post it here. I promise I will. Hey, I'll even introduce you to all the coolest people there if you want.

Karlene said...

I love LDSBA. It was good to re-network. And sooooo tempting to get back into the business. (What am I saying? Someone slap me!)

As to your ability to contain your enthusiasm over meeting David Woolley, can we say, "GROUPIE"?

:)

Karlene said...

Oh, and you-know-who says thank you very much for the photos.

David G. Woolley said...

All right ladies. I really don't like being on the wrong side of a secret. But there are some pretty good clues here. I am going to close in on her sooner than you think.

I have two accomplices now. And maybe even one imposter.

And Sandra, I must admit that I'm a little flabergasted (cool word) by your enthusiasm for my writing. Really. I rarely every speak to any readers. No one I work with knows (or likely cares) that one of my other lives is writing historical fiction. So not only am I suprised by your enthusiasm, I'm also going to use it against you to find out the identity of she who will not be named. Its the least I could do for a friend. Right?

And thanks for tuning me into your blog here at the Dance. This is terrific.

David G. Woolley