Friday, January 2, 2009

Clementine



I am a bit frustrated right now. I have a paper due next Wednesday and my teacher hasn't graded my last paper yet and the date to do resubmission for that paper was last week. She hasn't answered my e-mails regarding the first paper. To make things even worse, I just went to open my new paper to finish it and I can't find it! I know I saved it, so while my computer searches for it, I thought I would do a post on a cute book that Brandi got for Christmas.
Clementine's Letter
By Sara Pennypacker
Pictres by Marla Frazee










From the back cover:

On Friday morning I woke up a little bit excited: today was the last day I'd have to put up with Mrs. Nagel. I felt a little worried, too, as if something badwas about to happen, but I didn't know what it was.

I found out at school.

"We'll leave for the Statehouse after lunch," Mrs. Nagel announced. She picked up a notice. "It says the ceremony starts with the letter reading at one o'clock."

Which gave me a heart attack. All morning I just sat there with my chest squeezing me so hard I was frozen in my seat. I was so quiet I didn't have to hear a single "Clementine-you-need-to-pay-attention!" which was a new record for me. That is the good news about heart attacks, I guess.

Clementine can't believe her ears-- her beloved teacher, Mr. D'Matz, might be leaving for the rest of the year to go on a research trip to Egypt! No other teacher has ever understood her impulsiveness, her itch to draw constantly, or her need to play Beat the Clock when the day feels too long. And in his place, he's left a substitute with a whole new set of rules, which Clementine just can't figure out.

The only solution, she decides, is to hatch a plan to get Mr. D'Matz back. If it means ruining her teacher's once-in-a-lifetime chance-- well, it'll be worth it. Won't it?

I love Clementine. I fell in love with her when Brandi and I read the first book in the series last year. I love that Clementine can never sit still, that her mind is going faster than she can ever hope to keep up with. I get her. I see so many of my students in her. She even taught me a little bit about how to relate more to my students. And I cried at the end of the book.

Then we got the second book in the series and I laughed some more. Only Clementine could get into so many messes. I cried when Clementine felt left out and thought she was useless in the talent department. And I cried again when she found out she wasn't.

I loved Clementine's Letter as much as the first two books. And yes, I cried at the end of this book as well. I love the "book" that Clementine and her dad write in this story. Clementine wants to help her dad write the book about all of the interesting things he sees as an apartment building manager, so she gets a notebook and starts the book "Once there was a building manager." and places it on his pillow, hoping he will write some of the things he has seen. He doesn't, instead he writes about how much he loves her even when she messes up.

I love how Clementine tries to tell the story the way she wishes it was, but then tells us the way it really is. Like when Clementine is trying to do what Lily- who never gets in trouble- does. Clementine gets on the floor to see what Lily's lower body is doing- or not doing. "Clementine, what are you doing on the floor?" Mrs. Nagel shouted. Okay, fine, maybe she just said it, but from the floor it sounded like a shout.

Or the time that Clementine was not having a good day

The rest of the morning got worse. By the time the recess bell rang, I bet i heard a hundred "Clementine-pay-attntion!"s. And every time, I was paying attention! But oky, fine, not to Mrs. Nagel, because she had gone from boring to extra-boring.

Okay, fine, I'd better end this post and get back to my homework. But if you need something cute and fun to read- get these books. You won't be sorry.

Buy it here Listen to Brandi reading an excerpt from Talented Clementine here.

Reading level: Ages 9-12
Hardcover: 160 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH (April 1, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0786838841
ISBN-13: 978-0786838844
Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 5.6 x 0.9 inches



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

1 comment:

loretta said...

Oh, those sound cute! I bet Tanner would love them.

You know, in reading they always try to make the kids sit perfectly still & then can't figure out why they all want to be in my group instead! I don't make them be perfectly still, they just have to stay out of the other kids' space & they make progress so fast. I wish more teachers would understand imagination & creativity has to wiggle!