Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

I just wanted to be the first to say Happy New Year to You!

But I am not up to say it. I need my beauty rest so I am tucked nice and safe in my warm bed. I am also not sound asleep. Mostly because I never sleep soundly, and secondly because the kids are not home- they are at a youth party at the stake center. The bishop called earlier and said that a general authority might be stopping by because he had heard what the youth council had planned for tonight. Matthew is on the youth council but when I called him about 8, no GA had shown up yet. Maybe just a rumor.

I also wanted the first post of the new year to be deep and profound because that will bring luck and prosperity in the new year. Right? Like eating black eyed peas, or carrying a suitcase around the block or eating collard greens. But make sure that you don't step on any cracks, under any ladders or in front of any black cats. And that last one is hard to avoid considering that we have a black cat.

How about if I sit outside on my front porch and wish on the first star every night this year? Or if I blow out all the candles on my birthday cake with one breath (maybe only if I use numeric candles), pull a wishbone and get the larger side? If I do all of those things will I get all the things I want this year?

I am going to admit it. 2008 was a horrible, yucky year for me and I am not sad to see it go. 2009 is starting sad because my boys ship out today and it will probably be a year before I see them again. There is a small possibility that Donovan will get to come home when the baby is born and even get to give her a name and a blessing, but we will see.

But back to the wishing thing- There are times in my life that I have that childlike wonder and faith and believe that if I wish hard enough then dreams really will come true. But most of the time I am a cynic and I am sure my life is controlled by Murphy's Law.

But no more. 2009 is the year of Faith for me. This is the year that I am going to learn to let my life be controlled by the Lord. I expect it to be a journey. I bought a journal to be used just for the tracking of the journey because I want to remember it. To look back in the future and see the difference. And I plan on it being something amazing that I don't want to forget. And when I write this post at the beginning of 2010 I want it to be a list of all the great and wonderful things that I learned and experienced in 2009.

So sit back, buckle up and get ready for the ride.



Indeed.

add to kirtsy

No comments: