Saturday, January 24, 2009

To Sleep

A flock of sheep that leisurely pass by
One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky -
I've thought of all by turns, and still I lie
Sleepless...
~William Wordsworth, "To Sleep"

The good news is this- I don't snore. The bad news? I did not have any "significant events" last night at the sleep center. What that means is that I didn't snore and I didn't stop breathing long enough to gasp for air. Therefore, I was not put on a C-PAP machine, but allowed to "sleep" aka resting with my eyes shut pretending to sleep until it is time to get up and start the day again. The print out of my EKG/EEG/whatever else EG they took, will be sent to a sleep technician to read. It will take up to two weeks for him/her to read it and report back to my doctor the results. I am hoping for positive for sleep apnea- even though that means I have to sleep looking as if I am flying an F/A-22 Raptor into battle.


The room was nice. The night tech that hooked me up was nice. We had a nice chat about our college courses as she hooked me to the myriad of wires needed to monitor how I don't sleep. It took about 45 minutes to get all of the wires attached to my head/calves/upper arms/neck/chin/face and I still have some goo in my hair. She told me it may take 2-3 washings to get it all out. I am just glad I didn't have an allergic reaction to it and break out- I did an Urban Botanic party this afternoon. That would not have gone over great- a consultant with big red splotches all over.

I fell asleep faster than I thought I would. That may have had something to do with the Zanaflex that I took, though. Then I slept as I normally do/don't however you want to look at it. I was awake by 5 and could hear the techs moving around in the hall waking other patients(?) or clients or whatever you want to call us. It was an hour before it was my turn to "wake up". It only took about 15 minutes to take all the wires off. It was a nice room. Kind of like a Motel 8 room or a very nice high end hospital except a much more comfortable bed than any hospital bed I have ever pretended to sleep on. If you can call trying to sleep with a billion wires attached comfortable.


 

Even thus last night, and two nights more I lay,
And could not win thee, Sleep, by any stealth:
So do not let me wear to-night away.
Without thee what is all the morning's wealth?
Come, blessed barrier between day and day,
Dear mother of fresh thoughts and joyous health!
~William Wordsworth, "To Sleep"


 

2 comments:

G. Parker said...

I like the poem...So that kind of makes you wonder what to think...I was thinking sure you were on the c-pap...oh well! Perhaps it's good news! lol. My hubby used to have to sleep with one, and then he stopped snoring...interesting. Now they claim he has narcolepsy...lol Have a good one!

Karlene said...

Hope you get accurate results. Jim did that and they said he didn't have sleep apnea. He said it was the best night's sleep he'd had in months. And I'm the one who hears him stop breathing, then gasp for air, multiple times a night. I KNOW he has it. But they don't put any credence in my observations.